Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Shall I resign?

I have not been active in the Mormon church since I turned 18. I managed to survive the brainwashing that was being instilled in me since I was a kid. The whole time what was being taught to me I just kept questioning it even more. And the answers I was given were a bunch of bs. The answers I was given were those from man and not from God.

Well, 20 years later I received a letter from the local bishop. I'm not sure how to respond or if I even want to respond at all. A part of me does not want to give them the satisfaction of banning me from God's existence. Because I do believe in a high power, call it God if you want. However, being told that I should forfeit my baptism just kind of makes me chuckle.

What do you think? Here's what was sent to me, I have blocked out the names due to privacy.

Troy -------,

Please let me introduce myself, my name is Mark ------ and I am currently serving as Bishop of the Bumby Ward, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. As such I have responsibility for stewardship over the members of our ward. To that end I am trying to determine your feelings and intentions regarding the chuch.

Since you have not been involved with the church for an extended period of time, I would respectfully like to know your desires regarding church membership. If it is indeed your attention to no longer be affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints; then please indicate so in a short handwritten note and return it to me in the self addressed envelope. Please be advised that by taking this action all blessings and convenants pertaining to your baptism will be forfeited.

If I do not hear back from you soon, then I will assume you wish to continue your membership. To that end I will gladly start reactivation and fellowshipping efforts on your behalf. It is my desire to honer your wishes in this matter and with your help I will know how to proceed.

Sincerely, Bishop Mark --------



I feel like I'm being asked to resign.

No comments: